Thursday, April 18, 2013

My last SOL event...

The cap and gown that hang from a corner in my room, are signs of the happy, but sad reality that graduation is just a few weeks away. I am beginning to experience a lot of "last" experiences at Rockhurst. For example, I've filled out teacher evaluations for the last time and last week I was relieved to realize that I had registered for classes for the last time as well. 

However, the most important "last" experience was attending my last organized SOL event as a Rockhurst student. On Monday, SOL screened the Oscar Award-Winning film called "Inocente," about a young homeless and undocumented girl from California that aspires to be an artist through her vibrantly colored and animated paintings. A discussion of the problem immigrants face due to a broken immigration system followed the film that had been viewed by more than 40 students and community members. 

 A picture from my seat of people watching the film


It was a very touching film and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one that was moved to tears by Inocente's story and her bravery to confront her struggles. One lucky student even walked away with a print of one of her art pieces. 
Ahmad Maaz presenting our winner with her prize!

As the event came to an end, I was assured of the success that SOL will be able to achieve in the next few years and I am incredibly happy that this organization will continue to offer a place where Latino and Spanish-Culture loving students will be able to come together to celebrate the Latino culture. In addition, I am happy to see that as a Jesuit university we are socially conscious of the problems our community is facing. 

Best of luck to the next generation of SOL members!

No comments:

Post a Comment