Sunday, November 4, 2012

Events, events, events!

The last two weeks have been incredibly busy! I've had my classes to keep up with, LSAT scores to anxiously await, and I've started my new job at an immigration law firm. PHEW!

However, I've had two wonderful events to look forward to each week. Last week it was the Sporting KC game with my fellow Student Organization of Latinos (SOL) members. It was a blast! And the best part came after the game (which we won 2-1!) at "The Cauldron" where we celebrated with other Sporting KC fans by screaming at the top of our lungs some of the best team chants I've ever heard in my life.

They really know how to rally up their people. I nearly lost my voice that night, but it was well worth the time away from my books.

This week I had the Mexican celebration of El Dia de los Muertos to look forward to. SOL puts on a celebration every year at Rockhurst to allow our students an opportunity to see what the holiday is all about.

In short, it is basically our Memorial day only with a bit folkloric twist. I think this video here by LAIKA House explains it best.


The belief is that on November 1st the spirits of our loved ones return to earth. My mother tells me that families visit the cemetery to clean the tombs of those they know and they decorate them with beautiful yellow and goal marigolds. The marigolds are supposed to light the way back home for the spirits. Next they fix altars at home with are adorned with colorful sugar skulls and papel picado. The table can be filled with pictures, their favorite foods, clothes, board games, and other small things that held a special meaning for them. 

This last Thursday SOL erected two beautiful altars. One was a generic altar that members and guests could contribute to. The other was built by Stephanie Dueñas who is a local artist as a tribute to one of her mentors who passed away in 2010. Below are some of the pictures from the event and the altars. 

Hope you enjoy!


This one is the teaser that was shown before the event.

This is Mr. Brock's altar by Stephanie Dueñas.





Papel Picado by Stephanie Dueñas.

Performer Allen Arias singing songs from his album The Dusty Road.

Stephanie Dueñas presenting her altar. 

On the left are two guests, and our SOL members Lorie Castilleja, Alexandra Chavez, and Hero Balani. 
The two on the right are dressed up as Catrinas which have become associated with Day of the Dead. 



No comments:

Post a Comment