Sunday, November 18, 2012

This Week: Latino Professional Panel and My Senior Capstone

This week, it was hard to escape the reality that my last semester at Rockhurst University is drawing nearer and nearer.

On Wednesday I was able to see a fellow SOL member successfully orchestrate his first event. It was an amazing thing to see as a leader because you're able to witness those same leader-like qualities grow within someone else as you assist them through the process.

It was also our first professional panel as an organization and three out of the five panelist were actually Rockhurst graduates.

Left to Right: Teodoro Garcia '95, Leticia Zarate-Garcia '95, Randy Lopez '06, Mayra Aguirre and Ed Mendez

The event organizer and moderator was Rockhurst junior, Anthony Moran. He guided the panelists through conversations about career and real-world preparation, interview experiences, the economy, and how being part of a minority population has impacted their lives. If you are around campus next year, I definitely would encourage you to check it out!

On Thursday night, I presented my Spanish Capstone on recent immigration policy changes in the United States. I had been working on it all semester with Dr. Rocio Duncan and it's helped get excited about law school. 

The happiest moment for me wasn't after my capstone when I knew that it was all over and done with, but just simply knowing that my parents had been there to see it. 

Coming from an immigrant and bilingual household, it's hard to try to integrate both cultures. For example, throughout my high school drama club experience, my parents only came to one of five productions. Not because they didn't care to make it to see me on stage but because language was a barrier and our family business made it hard for them to take time off. They also weren't able to make it to one of my biggest public speaking opportunities during my freshmen year at Rockhurst because of work again. 

On Thursday night, however, I was overwhelmed with pride and a sense of fulfillment that my parents were finally able to see me at work. 

Overall it was a great week and I totally looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner with my SOL family on Tuesday and then again on Thursday followed by the Plaza Lighting Ceremony and some Black Friday shopping. 

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving! 





No comments:

Post a Comment