Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Multicultural Discussions

Hello everyone!

This week I decided to highlight another part of my week that I really enjoy. I first got to know the multi-cultural group last Spring through a friend of mine that would always disappear to get pizza around the same time every week.

One of these days I finally was hungry enough to follow her to get a slice of pizza and that's when I met Shu Fen, a Rockhurst professor and counselor. The conversation and friendly environment helped me come back nearly every week since that first time. I know that as college students, it's hard for us to make time in our days to reflect on our thoughts and experiences, but this discussion group has helped me do it in a fun way without even realizing it.

It's a safe space where we can talk about our thoughts with ethnic and gender issues and we all bring different perspectives to the table since we come from different backgrounds. We support each other and offer career and even relationship advice and it's just especially nice to have someone hear you out when you've had a bad day.

This week I brought my laptop and took a few silly pictures to start off our meeting:





We're a lively bunch (as I'm sure you can see!) and we meet on Tuesdays at 3:30pm in Massman in case you would like to join us. We even created a video tonight about what we're all about:



Join us either this year (or next year if you're a prospective student) and I'm sure you'll always feel at home. 

Have a great week!

Jackie




No comments:

Post a Comment