Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Let it snow, let it know, let it snow…

For those of you that do not live in Kansas City or in any of the surrounding states, you've probably escaped the snowy wrath of Snowmageddon parts 1 and 2. But for my Rockhurst friends and Kansas City neighbors, I bet you're all ready to drop the shovels and not have to get up early to dig yourselves out of your house every morning!

It all started early next week when the newscasters began talking about a massive snow storm that was going to hit Kansas City during the late part of the week. By Wednesday night, shelves at the grocery stores were being emptied by cautious Kansas Citians looking to stock up on bread and milk before Snowmageddon. 


The funny thing about it was that I can remember waking up at 2 a.m. that Thursday morning to look out my window to see that there there wasn't a trace of snow on the ground. Rockhurst had already cancelled classes for Thursday morning and I just thought to myself that Mother Nature better get something going or I might just have to show up to take the Sociology exam I hadn't studied for that night. 

By 8 a.m. that morning, it had already snowed more than 6 inches. I turned on the television to see images of I-29 North that looked like a parking lot with all of the cars that were stuck in the snow. It snowed about a total of 10 inches in my neighborhood and classes had to be cancelled for Friday as well because the roads still hadn't been cleared. Lucky for us, we were able to enjoy a four day weekend…kind of. I'm sure that many of us, like myself, suffered from mild cases of cabin fever after being stuck inside for most of the first two days. 


I was able to go to work on Monday, but we were released early because of ANOTHER impending super storm we dubbed Snowmaggedon 2013 Part 2. This time, towns south of Kansas City could see up to 20 inches of snow! Once again, Tuesday classes have been cancelled and we are waiting to see if we can resume classes tomorrow. 

I think that the funniest thing about this all is that our spring break is just next week. I really hope that groundhog shows up sometime soon because I've had enough of snow angels and snowmen and I think I've seen every single movie in our home collection. I am getting ready to graduate in a few months and I'm looking forward to getting back to class to make sure that happens this year. 

However, this experience has been a blessing in disguise. I have been able to stay home to enjoy the company of my family. I've also been able to do some much needed work on an event that the Student Organization of Latinos is planning for this weekend at Holy Name parish. Please see the flyer below and stop by if you have the chance. 

Have a great rest of your week, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment